Western AreaKawagoe City
500 Rakan statues of Kita-in
"Rakan", or "Arhat" is a Buddhist term signifying a spiritual practitioner, or high priest, who has attained enlightenment. Considered as one of Japan's three great Rakan is the 500 Rakan of the Kita-in temple that took 50 years to complete. The 538 stone statues are famous for expressing human emotions and for being unique in their actions. According to legend, if you visit at night and touch the heads of the statues, one will be warm. The face of this statue is said to resemble the sculptor's passed away parent.
Temples and Shrines
- Tourist spot name
- 500 Rakan statues of Kita-in
- 1-20-1 Kosenbamachi, Kawagoe City, Saitama Prefecture
- 049-222-0859（Kitain Temple Office）049-222-0859（Kitain Temple Office）
- Home page
Business hours / Fee
- Business hours
3/1-11/23: Weekdays 8: 50-16: 30, Sundays and holidays 8: 50-16: 50 ／ 11/24-End of February: Weekdays 8: 50-16: 00, Sundays and holidays 8: 50-16 : 20
* We will respond during the above hours to prevent the spread of new coronavirus infections and protect cultural properties.
- Regular holiday
- December 25th to January 8th, February 2nd and 3rd, April 2nd to 5th * In addition, the visit may be canceled on days when there are in-hospital events.
- Adults 400 yen Children (elementary and junior high school students) 200 yen
- Public transport
Tobu Tojo Line/JR Line, Kawagoe Stn, 20 min walk
Tobu Tojo Line, Kawagoe City Stn, 20 min walk
Seibu Shinjuku Line Hon-Kawagoe Stn, 15 min walk
- About 15 minutes from Kawagoe IC on the Kan-Etsu Expressway, About 20 minutes from Kawajima IC on the Ken-O Expressway
- 133 units charged:General passengers up to 3 hours 500 yen (congested seasons such as Saturdays, Sundays, holidays, and New Year) * Weekdays are hourly. / Large vehicle (tourist bus, etc.) 1,000 yen for up to 2 hours * Additional charge 500 yen per hour * The parking lot will be closed due to traffic restrictions on 3rd January.